If you are reading this, then you surely have an interest in learning how to make zobo or in knowing how zobo drink is made.
Welcome !!! You are reading the right blog!!! In this blog post I will be sharing with you zobo ingredients and preparation.
Zobo is an easy to make drink which is popularly enjoyed in West Africa. In Nigeria is it commonly called Zobo, while it is known in other African countries as Sobolo, Zoborodo and many more.
Zobo business is a simple kind of business that can be easily started with little capital because the ingredients are both cheap and easy to find. Also, because it already has a market full of consumers waiting to drink a bottle of cold zobo on a sunny day.
Infact zobo business in Nigeria is a thriving one as you will easily find a bottle of zobo in shops, markets, in traffic and even hawked on the street.
Around the world, zobo is called different names such as Hibiscus tea, Sorrel tea, Roselle, Bissap, Wonjo, folere, tsobo, or dabileni.
This purplish drink derives it’s colour from the essence of zobo leaves. Although,Zobo English name is Dried hibiscus flower but for easy shopping in Nigerian markets it is best identified as Zobo leaves or Ewe Zobo as yorubas call it.
There are many recipes for zobo drink and I am sure you need to try this healthy Zobo drink recipe with no sugar.
3 cups Zobo leaves / hibiscus leaves
1 whole Pineapple
10 Lemon grass
20 Dates (dried or fresh)
1 tablespoon Cloves
1 stick Cinnamon
5 liters Water.
These ingredients will be used to make 2 batches of delicious zobo drink.
PREPARATION TIME : 15 MINUTES.
COOKING TIME : 1HOUR 15 MINUTES
- Remove the seeds from the dates
- If you are using dried dates, soak the date to soften it
- Rinse lemongrass with clean water
- Rinse ginger and peel the skin
- Cut the ginger into small sizes and set aside
- Wash the pineapple well in clean water with sponge and vinegar
- Peel the pineapple
- Set aside the Pineapple skin and dice the pineapple flesh
- Pour the pineapple flesh, ginger , softened dates in a blender
- Blend till it is smooth and set aside
- Pour the dried zobo leaves into water and rinse immediately
- Put your pot on fire
- Add about 3liters of water in the pot
- Add the rinsed zobo leaves, lemongrass, cloves and cinnamon
- Also add half of the pineapple skin and blended pineapple, ginger and dates paste
- Cook for 30 minutes on high heat
- After 30 minutes, turn off the heat
- Get a clean big bowl and a sieve
- Place the sieve in the big bowl and pour the cooked zobo drink into the sieve
This is necessary to remove the leaves and other particules in order to get a smooth drink.
- After sieving set aside and allow it cool down
- Pour the sieved zobo leaves back into the pot
- Add the remaining pineapple paste into the pot
- Cook this second batch for 45 minutes
It is important to cook the second batch for a longer time in order to get the best out of the leaves.
- After cooking for 45minutes turn off the heat
- Again get a clean big bowl and seive
- Pour the drink into the sieve to separate the leaves or stop the cooked pineapple paste from getting into the drink.
- Mix both batches of Zobo drink together and allow it cool down
- Slice fresh apple and remove the seed.
- Serve with diced apples.
If you would also like to watch the full video for this recipe on YouTube CLICK HERE