Immediately you saw the title of this blog post, I am sure you began to wonder what exactly is cele beans as the title states.
In Nigeria, there is a church denomination called Celestial Church of Christ. This church is commonly categorised as a ‘white garment church’ because of the uniform appearance its members always have.
Whenever you see a member of the Celestial church, the distinct white cap/hat and the white gown worn by the women stands out. For the men, the white tunic-like apparel equal makes them easily noticed.
Why the name ‘cele’? Typical of the Nigerian habit of abbreviating words to make them easy to pronounce, instead of calling the name of the church in full, Celestial Church of Christ it was abbreviated to ‘cele’.
This special beans is called cele beans because it is mostly cooked in Celestial Church of Christ as a form of Food offering to God, Love offering to signify unity of the church or provision offering shared to people who are in need.
This beans is simple to cook but the unique taste makes it stand out amongst other Nigerian beans recipes you may know.
Nigerian beans recipes
Beans is an integral part of the Nigerian diet, because of this, there are so many beans recipes you may want to try.
There are three (3) different types of Nigerian beans. To know more about this click here
Also, you should check this Nigerian food shop for authentic Nigerian brown beans.
Listed below are some Nigerian beans recipes that are equally delicious and easy to make.
For this recipe, the best type of beans to be used is Nigerian brown beans.
I will be cooking with oloyin beans because the ingredients I will be using for this delicious meal will further activate the sweetness of oloyin beans.
You can also use olotu beans. Now I go on to listing the ingredients below.
2 cups oloyin beans
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon honey
How to cook cele beans
- Picks out the chaff ,dirt and stone that may be in the beans
- Clean the beans in a bowl of water
- Set your cooker to high heat
- Fill your pot with about 3 cups of water
- Add the cleaned beans into the pot
- Cook for 15 minutes on high heat
- Check the beans to ensure the water is not dried up
- It is advisable that you add water in small quantities till beans are properly cooked and very soft.
- This is necessary to achieve the required thickness for this recipe
- When the beans are properly cooked add salt, sugar and honey to the beans.
- Mix well
- Add 1/2 cup water to the beans so that the added ingredients will cook well with the beans
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, spoon or wooden spatula called omorogun
Cele beans is ready to be enjoyed alone or with your favourite beans combination such as bread, rice potatoes, yams and many more.
To come along to my YouTube channel to watch this recipe in video form.
All you need to do is simple. Click on the video link below and you will be taken directly to my YouTube channel.
While you are there, you should subscribe and click on the bell button so that you will be notified anytime I post new videos every week.
If You have not subscribed to this blog yet, ensure you subscribe so that you can be notified by email anytime I post new recipes.
The Online Cook ©2023
Share this content: