Agoyin sauce is a dark coloured Pepper sauce fried with palm oil,peppers and onions for a long time to achieve it’s dark look and unique taste.
As we continue with this recipe, please subscribe for more easy recipes.
AGOYIN SAUCE INGREDIENTS
8 dried bell pepper (tatashe)
A handful of dried chilli pepper (ata gbigbe)
4 medium sized onions
0.25L bleached palm oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon seasoning powder
Note: tomatoes are not used for this sauce.
AGOYIN BEANS INGREDIENTS
400g honey beans (oloyin beans)
2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspon salt
Nigerian beans comes with some stones and dirt. So before cooking, the dirt and stones must be removed usually by hand picking them and the beans must be washed in clean water.
Let’s start with Agoyin sauce preparations
- Pour dried tatashe also called bell pepper into a bowl
- Add dried pepper
- Pour hot water and cover till the peppers for 30 minutes till it softens ( you can use room temperature water if you can afford to soak the peppers overnight).
AGOYIN BEANS PREPARATIONS
- Pour about 4 cups of water into a pot
- Add the cleaned oloyin beans
- Stir well and cook for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, add sugar
- Add salt
- Cook for 20 – 30 minutes
- When the bean is soft enough, mash the beans with a spatula, masher or electric mixer.
LET’S COOK AGOYIN SAUCE
- Drain the softened pepper i.e remove the water used to soak them
- Put the peppers into a blender
- Peel 3 meduim sized oinions and add it to the peppers in the blender
- Add some clean water and blend
- Add 0.25L bleached palm oil into a frying pan
- Heat up briefly
- Add diced onions
- Fry till is golden brown
- Add the blended peppers
- Fry for 20 minutes on low heat while continuously mixing to avoid burning
- Add salt and seasoning
- Continue frying for about 15 – 20 minutes on low heat while mixing to avoid burning
Finally AGOYIN SAUCE IS READY
To watch the video recipe of this popular Nigerian street food on YouTube CLICK HERE
Did you like ewa agoyin and agoyin sauce the first time you tried it?
Do you think making this sauce is hard? I will love to read from you in the comment section.
If you find this recipe helpful, don’t forget to like and share this recipe. You might be helping someone.