Many people love eating chicken wings and I am one of them. So, I will be writing about how to make chicken wings the Nigerian way.
Simply put, this is a spicy Nigerian chicken wings recipe you should try if you love cooking and eating Nigerian foods.
If this is your first time here, on this blog, you would find a lot of amazing and easy to follow Nigerian food cooking recipes.
So, thank you for visiting my Nigerian food recipes blog.
While you are here, I would like to tell you to subscribe so that you can get email notifications every time I post new recipes for you.
Here are the ingredients you for this recipe.
Spicy Nigerian Chicken wings Ingredients
- 1kg chicken wings
- 4 onions
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ table spoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
How to make chicken wings – Nigerian style
This chicken recipe will be simplified into three (3) processes to make it easy to follow. The first process will be on how to season your chicken properly.
How to season chicken -Nigerian style
- Clean chicken wings properly in water while also removing any feathers still on it
- Pour the cleaned chicken into your pot
- Add 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tablespoon salt and 1 seasoning cube.
- Add 3 cups of water and mix well
- Cook for 15 minutes on high heat to ensure that the chicken wings are properly cooked.
- Take the pot off the cooker after 15 minutes
- Separate the chicken wings from the chicken stock
For more context, in Yoruba language chicken stock is called omi-eran.
Now that the chicken wings have been deliciously seasoned and boiled, it is time for the second process which is making fried chicken wings.
Fried Chicken Wings
Before I continue with this process, you should be informed that you will have to exercise a great degree of self discipline going forward.
Lets make fried chicken wings.
- Heat up enough vegetable oil in your frying pan
- Arrange the boiled chicken wings in the hot oil
- Nicely fry both sides to a light brown shade
- Remove the fried chicken from the hot oil
- Switch of the cooker because it is time to prepare the sauce.
If you like fried chicken like I do, I would advice that you hide the fried chicken wings immediately.
This is because you may end up eating it all before the sauce is ready.
Yes, this fried chicken is quite irresistible because it was seasoned and cooked properly.
Let’s quickly make the easy sauce that will elevate your chicken wings to the next level.
Chicken wings sauce
- Peel and blend 2 onions, 2 scotch bonnet peppers and tomatoes to a rough texture
- Slice the remaining 2 onions and set aside
- Also slice all the coloured peppers
- Put your pot on the cooker
- Add about 3 spoonful of the hot oil used for frying the chicken
- Fry half of the chopped onions for 1 minute
- Add the blended pepper and tomato mix
- Season with 1/2 tablespoon curry powder, 1/2 curry powder, 1/2 white pepper, 1/2 salt and 1 seasoning cube.
- Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes after mixing well
- Add fried chicken wings and flavour with 2 spoonful of chicken stock
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add the remaining sliced onions and peppers
- Mix well and allow simmer for 2 minutes of low heat
Nigerian style chicken wings is ready to be eaten as a finger food/snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The amazing thing about this Nigerian spicy chicken wings is that it can be eaten alone of enjoyed with other foods such as listed below.
It can also be used as a protein of choice when eating any Nigerian swallow with soup like
Come along to my YouTube channel to watch the video of this recipe. While you are there, you could support me by subscribing t my YouTube channel as well.
Share this content: