Coconut is a staple fruit in Nigeria with so many uses. Let’s start from the hard brown coconut shell.
The coconut shell is used in traditional to cooking to maintain the fire especially when cooking with firewood or charcoal.
The coconut flesh which is the white inside of the coconut when the hard brown shell is removed is used for oil, foods, snacks and even sweet. They are all listed below;
- coconut candy
- coconut milk
- coconut rice
- coconut oil
- Baba Dudu candy
- and many more
You can also buy so many delicious Nigerian coconut candy from our shop here
Coconut chips is about a popular Nigerian snack. This snack is commonly sold everywhere including markets, schools and so on.
The beauty of this snack is that, just like many other Nigerian foods coconut chips is very versatile.
It can be eaten as a finger food or used as sweetener or food topping for foods such as;
- Drinking garri
- Akamu or pap or ogi
- and many more.
Also, this recipe is very simple and it is made with just two (2) ingredients.
COCONUT FLAKES INGREDIENTS
- 2 Coconuts
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
How to make coconut chips
- The first thing to do is to extract the coconut water. An easy way to extract coconut water is to use a sharp object with pointed tip- such as key, scissors- to puncture on of the three soft spots on the coconut. This method is easy as it help to reduce wastage and spillage because the water is coming out through on channel. Unlike when you have to break the entire coconut to get the water.
- Pour the coconut water into a bowl and set it aside.
- Remove the coconut meat ( i.e. the white edible part in the shell)
- With a grater, grate the coconut meat – it is better to use a big bowl to avoid waste
- Add sugar to the grated coconut (I will be using white sugar but you can either white or brown sugar)
- Mix well to make sure the sugar gets to all the coconut flakes
- Pour the mixed coconut flakes into a hot frying pan
- Fry on low heat while continuously stirring to avoid it getting burnt
- The coconut flakes will gradually fry with the natural oil in it, so there is no need to add oil.
- When most of the coconut is brown, delicious coconut flakes is ready.
Thank you for your interest in this recipe. Are you interested in watching How To Make Coconut Chips video recipe? CLICK HERE