Plantain chips are a popular snack made from ripe plantains. These crispy snacks are enjoyed in tropical regions of the world where plantains grow.
In recent times, many countries of the world enjoy this irresistible snack as well.
They are a great alternative to traditional potato chips and offer a unique flavour and texture.
This is an absolutely easy recipe on how to make plantain chips without using a plantain chips cutter.
Try this recipe when you feel like eating plantain chips but you only have a knife not a plantain chips cutter .
Truly a plantain chips cutter makes the process of slices plantains thinly very fast but you can also get thinly sliced plantains necessary for having crunchy plantain chips by cutting with a knife.
As I continue with this recipe, I should inform you that you can become a member of this food blog to get notifications about new foods recipes.
All you need to do to become part of this community is to subscribe so that you will be emailed every time new recipes are published.
Plantains are a versatile fruit prominent in Nigeran cuisine. Although they may resemble bananas, plantains are typically larger.
In this post I will be using the frying method because this is a fried plantain recipe, but plantains can also be boiled, steamed, or roasted and even eaten raw especially the ripe ones.
Plantains are not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. They are a good source of dietary fibre, potassium, and vitamins A and C.
Below are other plantain recipes you may want to try as well.
The amazing thing about this recipe is that you only need the two ingredients stated below.
Ingredients for plantain chips
- Ripe plantains
- Vegetable oil
How to make ripe plantain chips
- Peel the plantains
- Use a plantain chips cutter to slice the plantains
- You can use a knife If you don’t have plantain chips cutter
- To do this, you will need a chopping board
- Use the curved tip of the knife to thinly slice the plantains
- Set your cooker to high heat
- Pour vegetable oil into your frying pan
- Place the frying pan on the cooker
- Allow the oil heat up well
- Scoop the plantain slices into the hot oil
- Fry both sides till it turns slightly brown
- Place paper towels in a basket
- Scoop the fried plantains into the basket with paper towel
- Allow the fried plantains cool down completely to get the crunchy feeling.
Plantain chips is ready to be enjoyed. I would love you connect with me by leaving your comment on what you think about this recipe.
Before I write about how to store plantains chips I would like to inform you about an authentic African store where you can get all Nigerian food you want.
How to store plantains chips
After the fried plantains cools down the next thing to do is to store the excess plantain chips so that they will be within your reach next time you’re in the mood for a flavorful and crunchy snack.
To store plantain chips is easy and you don’t need to do anything hard or worry about having anything sophisticated.
Here is all you need to do to make your plantain chips last up to 1 month;
- Wash your storage bottle or containers – you can use plastic or bottle containers but make sure it has a tight lid.
- Sterilise the containers and let it dry completely
- Pour the plantain chips into the containers
- Cover tightly with the lid
- Store in a cool and dry place
Join my YouTube channel here to watch my Nigerian cooking videos.
Come along to watch the video of this recipe on my YouTube channel by clicking on the video Icon below.
In conclusion, the great thing about plantain chips is that you are sure to satisfy your cravings while it takes you to a whole new snacking experience.
Thank you for visiting my blog today.
The Online Cook ©2023
Share this content: