How To Cook Chicken Stew
Nigerian stew is a traditional dish made with tomatoes, onions, different types of pepper and favourite protein of choice.
In most cases, the protein of choice is usually beef, fish, chicken or turkey.
Although the process of cooking Nigerian stew varies depending on the protein of choice to be used, Nigerian stew is a must-have in Nigerian households.
Chicken is a delicious protein rich food that can be used to cook all kinds of delicious Nigerian soups and this recipe is on how to make the best chicken stew using the Nigerian recipe.
As stated earlier, the Nigerian stew under which chicken stew is categorised is very popular because of the fact that it can be used to eat a wide variety of common Nigerian dishes such as.
- White rice and chicken stew
- Spaghetti and chicken stew
- Bread and stew
- Boiled yam and Stew
- Boiled potatoes and stew
- Eko or Agidi and chicken stew
It can also be combined with many other Nigerian soups to eat Nigerian Swallow some of the soups are listed below.
- Ogbono Soup
- and many more
You can also find the recipes of many Nigerian swallow here
Although some people think that Nigerian recipes are too complicated but I assure that this is a simple chicken stew recipe you will love.
Chicken broth recipe will also be included in this recipe because chicken broth is needed to make this delicious recipe.
But before the steps on how to make the best chicken stew, the ingredients needed for this recipe are stated below.
Ingredients for chicken stew
- 20 tomatoes
- 3 onions
- 10 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 full chicken
- 4 bell peppers
- 10 cayenne peppers
- 1.5 cups vegetable oil
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 4 seasoning cubes/powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 table spoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
As I continue I would like to state that if you would like to buy genuine Nigerian foods and ingredients visit yournativefoodstore.com
If you do not like to eat spicy foods, you can reduce the quantity of the scotch bonnet peppers and cayenne peppers.
Bell peppers are not spicy but the act as thickeners in the soup so you may want to add more if you want your chicken stew to be very thick when it cools down.
Also, Nigerian chicken broth is also called chicken stock and the recipe you need to make chicken stock is stated below.
Chicken Broth Recipe
When cooking chicken stew, the first thing to do is to cook the chicken first and also make the chicken broth.
- Pour the cut chicken into a big bowl and add a lot of water
- You van also add a little of vinegar to the water – this is optional
- Clean the chicken properly and put the cleaned chicken in a pot.
- Place the pot on the cooker and set the heat to low heat
- Add sliced onions, 1 table spoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon thyme, 2 seasoning cubes, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 bay leaves.
- Mix together and let if simmer for 10 minutes on low heat – this is to extract the liquid in the chicken before adding more water.
- After 10 minutes, add 1.5 cups of water
- Mix well and let it cook on high heat for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the pot off the cooker.
- Get a bowl and a fine strainer, place the bowl underneath the strainer
- Take out the chicken from the pot and pour the chicken broth into the colander in order to separate particles to the chicken stock
- Strain twice and your delicious homemade chicken broth is ready.
Now that the chicken broth and boiled chicken is ready , it is time to write about the steps need for how to make chicken stew.
How to cook chicken stew
- Place your frying pan on the cooker set to medium heat
- Pour vegetable oil into the frying pan and let it heat up briefly.
- Put the boiled chicken into the hot oil and fry both sides till golden brown
- Remove the fried chicken from the hot oil and set it aside
- Switch off the cooker and set the frying pan with hot oil in a safe place to avoid kitchen accidents
- Pour the tomatoes, bell peppers, scotch bonnet peppers, peeled onions and cayenne pepper in a big bowl.
- Fill the bowl with water and clean the tomatoes and peppers to remove dust and other unhygienic substances that may be on them.
- Blend all the tomatoes, onions and pepper to a smooth paste.
- Pour the blended tomatoes and pepper mix into a pot
- Place the pot on your cooker and parboil for 15 minutes on high heat.
- After 15 minutes, you will notice that the parboiled pepper mix appear thicker than it was before.
- Add 1.5 teaspoon of salt, 2 chicken seasoning cubes and the chicken broth.
- Also add some of the oil used for frying the chicken and also the fried chicken.
- Mix well, cover the pot and cook for 10 – 15 minutes on high heat or cook till you achieve your desired thickeness.
- And delicious Chicken stew is ready.
As always, for every recipe on this blog there is always a video recipe explaining all the process highlighted here.
So you can also watch the video recipe on my YouTube channel by clicking on the video below. While you are there, please subscribe to my YouTube channel.
© 2023 The Online Cook