This recipe is about how to prepare Nigerian peppered ponmo . There are many Nigerian peppered ponmo recipes but this recipe is the easiest one that still gives you that delicious take you crave without having to consume too many calories.
Peppered ponmo is a popular finger food that is easy to make with low calories and of course delicious. As the name implies peppered ponmo is a spicy food eaten as a finger food for relaxation or as a side dish for other foods.
Before we continue on how to cook peppered ponmo, here is what you need to know about ponmo.
Ponmo is a ingredient which is popularly included in many Nigerian soups and sauces such as ponmo sauce, efo riro, Ogbono soup, okro soup and many more.
Ponmo in english is simply called cow skin because it is gotten from cow skin.
There are also some other name which ponmo is called which are kanda, wele, kpomo. pomo and many more.
Although ponmo is so popular in Nigeria that you can get it anywhere easily, the case id very different for people living in western countries because of the difference in food and culture.
Nonetheless, the internet has now made it very easy to buy ponmo online and have it delivered to your doorstep.
So, you no longer have to worry where to buy ponmo ijebu.
Ingredients for peppered ponmo
- 3 Ponmo Ijebu
- 3 medium sized Onions
- 3 Scotch bonnet peppers (optional)
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 3 Cayenne peppers
- 1/2 cup Groundnut oil or preferred cooking oil of choice
- 3-4 Ugu leaves
- 1 Seasoning cube
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to make peppered ponmo
- Put the ponmo ijebu in a big bowl
- Add a lot of water, cover and set aside for 12 – 24 hours
- After 24 hours, clean the softened ponmo – here is how Ponmo Ijebu | How To Clean Ponmo Ijebu
- Cut the cleaned ponmo into small pieces and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes, peppers and onion into a blender and blend to a rough texture- I reserved one onions for later.
- Slice the reserved onions and ugu leaves separately and set aside.
- Set your cooker to medium heat and put your frying pan on it.
- Pour vegetable oil into the frying pan and let it heat up briefly.
- Add half of the sliced onions and let it fry for 1 minute
- Add the blended tomatoes, pepper and onions.
- Add curry powder, thyme, seasoning cube or seasoning powder, and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 15-20 minutes on high heat or till the liquid reduces.
- After 15-20 minutes mix well and add the remaining sliced onions, sliced ponmo and sliced ugu leaves.
- Mix well, add some water and cook for 5-7 minutes on high heat
- Peppered ponmo is ready to be enjoyed .
Thank you for visiting this bog today, if you would like to watch the video of this recipe, it is uploaded on my YouTube channel. Don’t forget to subscribe to my channel on YouTube and also like my video.
I will also appreciate if you share my video and leave a comment on what you think about the recipe.
The Online Cook 2023