Have you been looking for roasted groundnut recipe online? Or you have been asking yourself questions like ; how do I roast groundnut? Or How do I roast peanuts?
This blog article will be explaining how we roast groundnuts in Nigeria and how roast groundnut at home.
In Nigeria, Groundnut is a staple food used for a wide variety of snacks such as roasted Groundnut, Caramel Groundnut, tanfirin or donkwa and many more.
One of the popular way of eating roasted Groundnut is to use it as an accompaniment while drink Garri.
Groundnuts are roasted in Nigeria using three (3) different methods, namely;
- The Salt Method : roasting groundnuts with salt
- The Sand Method : this entails how to roast groundnut in sand
- The Garri Method : this is basically about how to roast groundnut with/using garri
- The Oven Method : Groundnut can also be roasted or fried using an oven. So this method is all about how to roast Groundnut using an oven.
This recipe will be focusing on how to roast groundnuts easily using Garri. The Garri method for roasting Groundnut is cost effective and easy.
This is because the ingredients and kitchen utensils needed are easily found in most kitchen.
3 ½ Raw Groundnuts
⅛ cup Salt
6 Cups of water.
Kitchen utensils Needed.
Bowls (medium & big).
Preparation Time : 2hours 15minutes
- Boil 5 cups of water
- While the water is boiling, removes stones or bad groundnuts by putting the good groundnut in a separate bowl.
- Pour the hot water into a big bowl and add salt.
- Stir till the salt dissolves and add the sorted groundnuts.
- Cover the bowl and leave for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Put a basket into a bowl to sieve the groundnuts
- Pour the hot raw groundnuts into the basket to separate the water from the groundnuts
- Throw the water away
- Spread the wet groundnuts on a flat surface such as a tray
- For this recipe measurement, 2 trays were used
- Be careful not to over-crowd each tray for the free flow of air
- Put tray in the sun for 1-2 hours till groundnut are dry with no visible liquid.
ROASTING/FRYING TIME : 20 – 30 minutes
- After spreading the wet groundnuts in the sun till all the liquid is dried
- Put a clean OLD pot on fire
- Add Garri
- Add some of the Groundnuts
- Stir the groundnuts and garri continuously for 10 – 15 minutes
- Get a basket and a bowl
- Put the basket on a bowl and pour the roasted groundnut and garri into it
- Shake the basket in a circular motion till all the groundnuts have been separated from the garri
- Allow it to cool down
- When the groundnuts are cool enough to touch, peel the groundnuts wit your hands
- After peeling the groundnut, pour on a tray
- And blow away the groundnut peels
- Repeat the process till you have roasted all the groundnuts
AND ROASTED GROUNDNUT IS READY.
To watch a video recipe showing the detailed processCLICK HERE